Sunday 2 March 2014

Yesterday we ran from the Braveheart car park to Kinlochleven and back.For once it was a nice day and hardly rained at all. The Mamores looked magnificent with a good coating of snow. We met some friends just before Kinlochleven who were running from Tyndrum to Fort William - we were happy with 28 miles  rather than 43! Today we had an easy day H helped out with a race up to the vitrified fort whilst I sat in the car and  painted the above picture. After an initial heavy shower of rain the sun came out. The view is of the south side of the Ben from Glen Nevis I use my A4 moleskine watercolour sketchbook. I'm not sure if the moleskine paper is as well suited to the larger size sketchbooks- it doesn't hold layers of washes very well overlying ones  push the lower layers out of the way. However it is probably just a case of getting used to the paper and adapting one's technique accordingly
Over the years I have used a variety of sketchbooks. I used to like the smaller moleskine notebooks ( not the drawing sketchbooks which have a coating which doesn't hold washes well). The notebooks have thin paper which can take light washes and are good for ink, I quite like the charm of these little sketches:
The originals of the above are 14cm by 9cm.
More recently I have used watercolour moleskines of the same small size.

At the moment my favourite is the A5 Moleskine watercolour books however I did have a Strathmore sketchbook with  grey toned paper which I loved using especially with watercolour pencils.

No comments:

Post a Comment