Saturday 22 March 2014

Yesterday I ran from Fort Augustus to Inverness along the Great Glen Way. It's the first time I have done this. It's actually a very nice route with lots of variety and scenic beauty- forest and upland as well as lochside. It's also very undulating, so I was quite slow. . The weather was pretty dire- cold heavy rain interspersed with snow showers and the occasional dry interlude. I became quite chilled at Drumnadrochit after stopping for a coffee, but fortunately I was carrying extra clothes which I duly put on  and soon warmed up on the climb beyond the village.
.All winter it has been extremely wet but relatively mild and last week I saw my first frogspawn of the year.  Now it has turned very wintry just to mark the onset of Spring!.On the way back from Inverness the snow started in earnest making driving conditions quite treacherous.
 The above picture was painted today from the Commando monument. As ever the cloud was shifting and the light changing minute by minute making it very difficult to paint a consistent picture .Hopefully I have captured some essence of snow covered hills half obscured by cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment