Saturday 8 March 2014

View from the Commando Memorial looking north west, sketched on Friday but added to at home so possibly not the most accurate depiction of the scene.
 Today  a DVD by David Curtis arrived in the post. He is one of my favourite contemporary watercolourists .I'm amazed how he manages to apply wet paint so loosely but accurately , producing realistic pictures that also show off the beauty of watercolour- gorgeous variegated washes and glowing glazes, soft edges and sharp accents He must also be physically very tough painting outside in all weather except the pouring rain.To me he seems to just strike the balance between looseness and brevity versus detail and accuracy. I struggle to make my pictures loose and not to overwork them, I have so much to learn.
This scene sketched late this afternoon in Fort William

No comments:

Post a Comment