Wednesday 1 April 2015

Prototype zine

Today I have been making some zines about Ben Nevis.
 I have always been fascinated by books and frequently write, illustrate and bind small books (often of transcribed poems) to give as presents. I love published sketchbooks and illustrated books in general . My wife has a full set of the delightful Wainwright guides to the Lake District. These quirky but very practical guides were reproduced directly from Alfred Wainwright's handwritten/drawn sketches, maps and descriptions of the Cumbrian fells. I would love to produce something similar for the Scottish mountains although I wouldn't pretend to have half the talent of Wainwright. Hence I have been experimenting with a 'zine' about Ben Nevis .The challenge is making something good enough to sell but that can be manufactured and quickly and cheaply at home.
My normal handbound books take hours to make and would never be economical to buy. My first efforts at zine making are a bit rough and ready ( as is the nature of zines) but I'm pleased with them nevertheless. Each one is slightly different but has 4 or 5 pages of reproduced pencil drawings and information on Ben Nevis.
I would quite like to find out more about the readers of this blog- who you are, what do you think about the blog ,are you interested in art or running or both ?
 I will send a free zine to the first seven people who leave a ( hopefully constructive) comment on this blog . If you leave a comment and send me an e mail with your home address I will send you a zine.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, I found my way here via your article on the Empty Easel site. I do hope you manage to ease your way into a painting career. I have undertaken a couple of book-binding workshops, but find I am more interested in combining my artwork with small fold-books which, like yours, serve as special occasion cards or gifts. I was interested in your Zine - I cannot see any other comments yet, so might be in with a chance to get one. (I will email you with address - with fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for leaving a comment, I will be delighted to send you a zine and would welcome any feedback .

      Delete
  2. Hello Mark, I also found you through Empty Easel. I live in a big city (Dallas, TX) and love traveling around by bus, light rail, bicycle, and on foot with my sketchbook and a few pens. I like that you make your own books and am very interested in doing that myself. My artwork is definitely becoming smaller and more portable ... and easier to share with others! I do not run but wish I could (I have rheumatoid arthritis). And I'm very interested in seeing your Zine ... it sounds very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,

    This sounds amazing!

    I've only just recently found you - through Empty Easel. I live in the geographic centre of British Columbia, Canada. I love to paint and sketch nature, and while running is too tough on my knees, I enjoy cycling, hiking, canoeing and camping.

    Being of Germanic origin, I have a sole Scottish relative - a great grandmother. Her genes must have a strong effect on me though, because I love just about anything Scottish - tartans, bagpipes, castle and kilts! Not too fond of the thistles though... :)

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete