Sunday 26 April 2015

A Great Day for Sketching

Wednesday was another beautiful day. Officially I had the day off but I had to go to the office to catch up with paperwork and phone calls. Afterwards I ran up towards the north face of Ben Nevis to paint a sketch. It was actually hot ! Sitting on a rock splashing paint on paper surrounded  by the most majestic views imaginable I felt I was in heaven. The north face of the Ben is truly dramatic the hidden dark but fascinating side to a well known mountain.It is a confusion of crags and corries and a magnet for ice climbers in the winter.I could have spent hours sketching but I had a long run home and had agreed to meet Helen half way.
 The picture is a bit of a muddle and I cannot guarantee that every patch of snow is in the right place. However I know that in years to come if I look at the sketch I will be able to recall exactly the details of a wonderful afternoon in the sun. This is the essence of sketching- laying down memories. I've written diaries before but words are not nearly as evocative as pictures regardless of how rushed and sketchy that picture is.
The North Face of Ben Nevis

No comments:

Post a Comment