Tuesday 17 February 2015

Sunset Pictures

Sunset over Loch Linnhe
I have been working on paintings from the photos I took from the West End car park ten days ago. The above picture had a chequered history . It is on an A4 Arches (cold press) block which I hadn't used before. The idea of a watercolour block is that the edges are glued to the other sheets to prevent buckling when wet washes are applied. Unfortunately on this block it doesn't work very well and there was a considerable amount of buckling resulting in the washes pooling in the valleys of the buckles. In frustration I cut the paper off the block and washed most of the colour off under the kitchen sink tap. The good thing was that now the picture was officially a failure I felt free to experiment, planning to use it as  practice for a second attempt. As often happens it then turned out better than I expected !

No comments:

Post a Comment