Sunday 22 February 2015

Bullet Proof Coffee

Recently I have discovered bullet proof coffee. I had been aware of it for a year or so - basically it entails putting butter and oil in to coffee rather than milk. However when I tried adding a lump of butter to coffee it tasted disgusting. The secret it seems is to blend the butter with an electric blender, this results in a lovely creamy frothy drink. It both stimulates and satisfies and keeps one going all morning. Dave Asprey who invented it advises putting up to 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of mct oil in a cup ! The idea of the mct (medium chain triglyceride) oil is that the body uses it as fuel rather than storing it.
For a change to illustrate this post I did a sketch of my cafetiere, as is often the case what at fist seemed a boring subject turned out to be complex and interesting. I could have spent much more time doing a proper study rather than a quick sketch. For speed I 'broke the rules' and used some black . Most watercolourists avoid black paint creating darks by overlaying washes of other colours. This aversion to black paint puzzled me for many years. Now I appreciate that one can create more glowing and nuanced darks by combining colours .Black paint is a 'dead' colour and I now try to avoid it myself (except when I'm desperate for coffee and cant drink any unil I've finished my sketch of the cafetiere!) James Gurney did a good blog post on the use of black on his blog gurney journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment