Saturday 12 July 2014

Last weekend I had  my first ever DNF ( did not finish) My back had been very sore all week but I'd hoped a trip to the osteopath would fix it. At 1 AM standing on the start line of the Great Glen ultra I tried jogging on the spot - it hurt a lot . I started the race hoping the pain would ease of but after 1 mile I was really struggling . I phone H asking her to pick me up from Gairlochy. However when I got there I felt slightly better so carried on. I  enjoyed the next section to Clunes,it was a beautiful mild night ideal for running.However I was holding myself awkwardly and soon had a sore groin and knee as well. By 20 miles I was down to a survival shuffle. It was a bit ridiculous- I can normally run 20 miles( commuting to and from Fort William) and do a full days work as well. I knew that there was no way I could get to Inverness which was 52 miles away.
Great Glen Way at Fort Augustus
 Just at that point H drove up on her way to man a water station near Drumnadrochit. That decided it ;I jumped in the car and spent a pleasant day giving out water and coke to other runners.
Great Glen Way 4 miles before Drumnadrochit

No comments:

Post a Comment