Tuesday 16 February 2016

Glen Nevis In The Rain

After my last post expressing my excitement about the lengthening days and the  prospect of the onset of Spring, today the weather reverted to type - wind and cold torrential rain.
 I drove down Glen Nevis and painted the sketch below, glad to have the shelter of a vehicle. I like the composition of the majestic Scot's Pine in the foreground and the snow covered mountains beyond.

I was really distressed to hear that two  experienced climbers have been missing on Ben Nevis since the weekeend. A thirty strong mountain rescue team was beaten back today by 90 mile an hour winds and an avalanche. The recent cold but clear weather has drawn many ice climbers to the mountain's north face but it is a dangerous sport. Sitting here in my warm living room I cannot imagine what it must be like high up on the mountain in the dark,sub zero  temperatures and blizzard conditions.I sincerely hope that the missing pair are safe and have found some shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment