Sunday 10 May 2015

A Weekend On The West Highland Way

Yesterday I took the train to Milngavie.
 It was a lovely afternoon , I headed out along the West Highland Way. Near the far end of Mugdock Park I saw a water vole on the path. This is the first time I've seen a water vole for about thirty years. When I was growing up in Essex water voles were a common sight on waterways and ponds.  Their  dramatic decline is thought to be mainly due to predation by mink an alien species descended from escapees from fur farms.It was  really heartening to see this little animal; Maybe Ratty from 'Wind In The Willows' is making a comeback.
Just beyond Balmaha I climbed the little hill to the view point and did the above sketch  of Loch Lomond. Every few miles I heard cuckoos and also got a good view of woodpecker.
 This year the primroses are especially good.In contrast to two weeks ago when I did the Highland Fling Race the trees are a riot of green. Things seem to be further advanced on Loch Lomondside than in Lochaber. Even the beech trees are in leaf their delicate translucent leaves shimmering in the breeze.
I progressed slowly along Loch Lomondside and ended up just north of Inversnaid. By then it was raining, and I was looking for somewhere to spend the night. I found a rock with a decent overhang and bedded dowwn there in my sleeping bag and bivvy bag . Thanks to the rock I didn't get wet at all despite persistent rain all night.
Today I jogged further on the WHW. Near Tyndrum I bumped into my good friend Tony an inveterate ultrarunner who has completed more than ten West Highland Way races as well as the UTMB and Marathon des Sables, He is an inspiration! He was with his friend Craig . We ran together to Bridge of Orchy, I struggled to keep up - my fitness certainly needs some work.
Quick sketch from the station as I waited for the train.
I got the train home from Bridge of Orchy for a bath some food and a beer. I've had a  very enjoyable two days with about 60 miles of running.                

No comments:

Post a Comment