Wednesday 26 September 2018

Ring o Fire 2018

 A few weeks ago we completed the Ring O Fire Race in Anglesey for the 4th time .
I did  a reasonable amount of training chiefly comprising of 35 mile runs once every week to 10 days. I had also spent a week in Essex during  some very hot weather during which I ran about a hundred miles. However my fitness was still very lacking.
We stayed near Beaumaris which is a picture postcard like coastal town with lots of interesting shops and  cafes. We arrived a day before the race which gave us the chance to buy last minute supplies and recover from the long drive south.
The race starts at the Breakwater Park at Holyhead which is on a separate smaller island off Angelsey. It was great to meet up with old friends including John Kynaston who we know from the West Highland Way Race and also the Hardmoors110.
The race started at 1pm. I had expected cold and wet weather but it turned out to be hot and sunny. In fact many of the runners suffered from the heat.The initial part of the race is not that inspiring - through the streets of Holyhead and parkland  beyond. However this soon gives way to the beautiful coastline. It is quite flat until the second  checkpoint at Church Bay when the cliffs and bays start. From then on the scenery was gorgeous . Time after time we would turn a corner to find another idyllic deserted sandy bay wreathed with cliffs and set off against a turquoise sea and cloudless blue sky. We saw quite a few choughs- rare birds looking  like crows but with an orange beak and a distinctive call.
Before Wylfa power station checkpoint there is a shingle spit that one has to run along , I always find this hard .The shingle is particularly strength sapping . Consequently I was very glad to to get to the checkpoint. Despite eating and drinking I struggled to get going afterwards and the group of runner I was with got ahead. Gradually though I recovered and reeled some of them in.Some of the biggest hills occur between Cemaes and Bull Bay, but again the scenery is fantastic.
I was pleased to finally arrive in Almwch in daylight after a really enjoyable days' running.

Day 2 was cooler and overcast.I started off quite well and enjoyed a good second breakfast and mug of tea at Ligny Bay. The owner of the cafe there had very kindly provided free food for all the runners. Soon the tiredness started to kick in and my pace slowed.Unusually I ran on my own for most of the day. I didn't see a single runner from Beaumaris until Newborough forest. My parents met me at Beaumaris and I had phoned ahead to ask them to buy me a cup of tea and a J20. Although still overcast it was quite warm and the ice cold J20 was very welcome.
It is a long way ( 66 miles) on day 2 but gradually the miles passed despite my snail like pace. On Newborough Beach I could see no one until I was almost at the honesty book flag. Then I spotted a rapidly approaching runner. I was only a few hundred yards beyond the honesty book when the runner overtook me.What a rate he was going! I later learnt that he had had a bad patch at Penmon Point but had recovered after a rest and a pie and chips in Beaumaris.
It was dark when I left the last checkpoint for the last 10km to Aberfraw boosted my some lovely spicy lentil soup. I managed the route OK despite the intense blackness of the moonless night. At Aberfraw the marshals were very attentive as usual and I was able to enjoy multiple mugs of tea and two bowls of pasta.

On Day 3 I was very stiff and my left hip was sore- I could barely run at the start. Fortunately my hip eased off and I was able to get going - otherwise it would have been a very long walk. Helen my wife always does well on Day 3 so I was pleased when I managed to catch up with her. We ran together through Rhosneigr  where a we all got  a second breakfast courtesy of Sandy's Bistro. Helen got ahead of me just before Four mile Bridge  as I started to flag. The weather had been forecast to be good but in the event  we had fine drizzle on and off  all day.
Before the beautiful Silver Bay I missed a turning and had to back track. Fortunately I didn't loose too much time. Also I didn't miss the  honesty book unlike two poor runners who we met a few miles later on who must have added at least an hour to their time returning to pick up a page from the honesty book.
At Trearddur Bay bought myself a mug of tea from a cafe .
I always struggle on the third day and  this year was no exception . I felt that my breathing was quite compromised and I as restricted to a survival shuffle. I kept passing and  being passed by a tall runner who was striding  along but who I never saw running . I was sure I would be able to get ahead but he left me for dust climbing the last hill of the race. Holy mountain was as beautiful as ever.
Finally I was running across the field to the sounds of Johnny Cash singing 'Ring O Fire' . It was all over for another year except for cheering, drinking beer and chatting with friends.
John Bottomley was first runner home in an amazing time of 23 hours and 23 minutes. Patrizia Sini was first lady in 29 hours and 9 minutes.Helen was 3rd lady.
A view from  Henlleys in Beaumaris (where we stayed before and after the race) looking across the Menai Strait.


After a day relaxing day in Beaumaris we sadly started the long drive home.It had been a very enjoyable holiday, and  the Ring O Fire was as always a fantastic race.We will be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment