Wednesday 15 March 2017

Mixed Weather

Sunset at Arisaig

 The weather has been very mixed recently - some beautiful balmy days but then  some very wet windy, sleety days. Last Wednesday I did the run back from Bridge of Orchy. The previous week we took far too much kit so this time I went light - and of course the weather was really bad! Between Kingshouse and Altnafeadth there was a vicious stingy hail. After that it rained and rained. Finally after Kinlochleven it did stop but the wind was really strong and in my face. Still I had a really good day out and enjoyed the moody views of shifting cloud over the hills -when they weren't completely obscured by sheets of rain.

Thursday when I was back at work was of course a beautiful day.
Sketch of the view from the West end  car park
Wet or dry at least the days are getting longer; I only need a head torch for the first ten minutes of my run to work . My i pod is redundant too because the birds are singing their hearts out.

Loch Lochy on a sunny day.
I was really pleased to notice that some Scottish pound  notes now feature a portrait of Nan Shepherd. Nan Shepherd wrote an excellent book on the Cairngorms called The Living Mountain . It is a book I would recommend to anyone who loves mountains - it is full of acute observations and lyrical passages. Her passion  for the high places sings out from every page.
Misty mountains at Glen Etive

















No comments:

Post a Comment