Saturday 12 November 2016

Dun Deardail

View from Dun Deardail
On Thursday I went for a run on the West Highland Way but was disappointed to find that the trail is closed between Glen Nevis and Lundavra until April . I went as far as I could before the path was blocked by felled trees.
Retracing my steps I visited  Dun Deardail - the remains of an Iron Age fort on a hillock overlooking Glen Nevis. It is a great site for a fort but very little is known of its history other than the fact that it was once burnt and  that the fire was so hot that it melted the rocks; a process known as vitrification.
On Thursday it was warm enough to sketch the dramatic view from the fort although my fingers were numb by the time I had finished. I soon warmed up on the  long jog home.
Quick sketch  from the Lochailort Road yesterday

View today from The Commando Memorial Spean Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment